Friday 15 February 2013

Bright Times, Thanks to Delpozo






     
 Photos source: WWD

I've just put a round of vintage clothes online (on Etsy shop Siouxvenir!), and have been rewarding myself lately by checking out some slightly less-than-mainstream designers to fawn over. I just came across a Madrid-based label called Delpozo. For those who think our culture is running low on original ideas, which is a legitimate concern, I do believe a few designers are at least bringing fresh perspectives to historical ideas and styles that aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel. Basically I think this collection is reminiscent of Céline's soft, oversized coats from the RTW Fall 2012 collection, but would go on to say that this Delpozo line is ultimately more refined and flattering to me. There is a certain Victorian modesty (floor-length hems, silhouettes that veer away from the body, fabric that is concealing the form) to the shapes. That harshness is absent though thanks to more celebratory colours, and decorative patterns that remind me of gold trinkets worn by Catholic bishops.

The Delpozo Ready To Wear collection for Fall 2013 is so lovely, taking a bright autumn palette of gold, coral, cinnamon into a spring scene of crisp, fresh and airy silhouettes. There is my full dream wardrobe included in this collection: trousers, pretty dresses, diaphanous gowns, and smashing coats (I'll also take the shoes, please!).

I love that you can achieve softness without sacrificing the definition of the dress's silhouette and pleats. Speaking of pleats, whoa! Soft and structured, coral and nude. And the gold embellishments! Spring flowers are pushing through my winter goggles.



No comments:

Post a Comment